We can all feel low from time to time. But, if you are depressed, you are likely to be suffering from persistent low mood for weeks or months rather than a few days. Depression is one of the most prevalent mood disorders, and it can severely affect a person’s social, personal and professional life.
Sadly, people suffering from depression are often expected or expect themselves to ‘pull themselves together’ or ‘snap out of it’. These thoughts are not only unhelpful but can also exacerbate the depressive symptoms.
When should you seek therapy for depression?
If you suffer from depression, you are likely to experience at least five of the following symptoms:
- Low mood more days than not
- Helplessness and/or hopelessness
- Tearfulness and worry
- Lack of concentration
- Lack of enjoyment and motivation in everyday activities
- Changes in appetite (eating too much or too little)
- Sleep disturbance (sleeping too much or too little)
- Excessive guilt
- Lack of energy
- Thoughts of harming yourself
Dr Zach offers an effective range of therapies for depression in London & online.